Thursday 18 January 2007

My Greatest Weight Loss Fear

Don't get me wrong, I want to lose this weight more than anything. I want to feel healthier, fitter, have more energy, be able to do more. Not miss out on seeing things when travelling because I am not able to walk up to it. Or have panic attacks when going on carnival rides because I fear the embarrasment of not fitting. I dont want the embarassment of flying in a plane and having to pay for 2 seats or having to use an extender seatbelt. I dont want my borderline diabetes to become full diabetes. The list could go on. But there is a pitfall to losing weight that drives fear into me. And in all my searches of other blogs, I am yet to see much written on the topic. That pitfall is, EXCESS SKIN!

When weight is gained, the skin expands, and often loses elasticity. This loss of elasticity can never be regained. No exercise, toning, lotions or potions, can ever give the skin back that elasticity. This is more common in people who are older or people who are overweight for many years, such as myself. When the skin has lost its elasticity, and weight is lost, the skin does NOT shrink back. Rather you are left with a large amount of excess skin. Such as these photos I found, show........ This excess skin will never go away (with the exception of major surgery. This excess skin can also cause other problems such as Abscess, Rashes, Ulcerations, Cellulitis (cellulitis is a painful bacterial skin infection) and hygiene problems. The greater the amount of weight lost, the greater the amount of excess skin. Everyday, people are having tummy tucks to remove up to 50pounds or more (up to 25kg) of excess skin. There is no other method of removing the excess skin. Some people will tell you that can tone the skin up and that exercise might work. But that is definitely NOT the case.

That is one of the reasons I have put my goal weight at 70kg instead of 60kg. I would even be happy to reach just 80 or 90kg. In all probability, I will have a large amount of excess skin which cannot be lost. I am already finding this possibility a reality. I have always said that I would never, in my entire life, have cosmetic surgery. And I could never understand why people put themselves through so much pain and for what really? However, the more I think about it, the more I do NOT want that excess skin that is bound to remain after losing a lot of weight. And the more I think that, then a tummy tuck is definitely an option not to be ignored.

Am I being vain? Afterall, who will see it besides myself, my hubby, and my doctor. In some ways, I feel like I am abandoning my beliefs and selling out. I have always sworn against it, yet here I am entertaining the idea. I know that I am already suffering from major skin infections from time to time. Would this help with that? And could I withstand the agony of surgery, I have a very low pain tolerance.

I would dearly love to hear about how others have dealt with this issue after weight loss. And also their thoughts on tummy tucks, arm lifts, etc.

9 comments:

Rachel said...

I know quite a few people with excess skin due to weightloss and basically they are happier having the excess skin than being overweight but it is still an issue.

My eldest sister lost quite a bit of weight and ended up having a tummy tuck which was painful and uncomfortable but she reckons it is all worth it as it is the best thing she has ever done and it wasn't for anyone else (ie. husband etc) it was just for her and she is so much more confident in herself now. If you are all for surgery to get rid of the excess skin.......start saving because it is quite expensive.

Amanda said...

Hi Shazza, I know you are scared of the loose skin issue. We have spoken in depth about this before and I told you all about my sister and her tummy tuck, they removed 5kg of loose skin. Sadly she has gained 40kg back and she started to have pains in her tummy from the skin re stretching. I guess it is just comes down to what you really want in life, do you want to loose the weight and have the loose skin, or do you want to stay overweight and keep the skin you have as it is... no wrinkles and folds. I for one am ready to accept the loose skin, I dont want to be overweight anymore. If I do get loose skin I will just have to deal with it.... not many people will have to see it unless I allow them to see it... and it will be like a sign of all the hard work i have done to get to the point of having loose skin. Although if I had the money I reckon I would get a tummy tuck and some nice perky boobs to match! No pain no gain right? :) I am the total oppostie if you... I have a very high pain threshold... I love pain! I wouldn't have piercings and tattoos otherwise! *wink wink*

Loose skin or not... I will still love ya!

TitanThirteen said...

Hi :o)
Thanks for the lovely comment on my blog :o)
I totaly understand the skin thing as it's a big fear of mine too! From the beginning of my journey, i had 110 kilos to lose, and i know i'm going to have a huge amount of lose skin! I've sometimes wondered if it would be better to stay fat than have all that skin.
It's not vain to want it off at all. There's a big difference in wanting to remove unsightly skin and having your lips plumped up or nose taken in a mm.
I personaly don't agree with plastic surgery either. I think we should be happy with what we have, unless it's something freakish we want to change. And access skin is definatly freakish!

Anonymous said...

Hi..
I can totally understand where you are coming from as my pain threshold is really really low and when my husband and I decided to have kids I freaked totally as I didn't like being constipated let along a bloody head coming out he he he but I got over it and had two kids... but wouldn't do it again mind you...

Anyway... the thing is sometimes we have to go through the pain if it really means that much to us.

I know I have 87 kilos to lose but I won't have a tummy tuck because of my fear and really it is better that I am healthy and I can do a lot of things than worry what I will look like in a bikini... which I don't think I would have the guts to anyway he he he

Or maybe it would be wise to lose the weight and then think about what will happen and how you feel. I think people just don't put the excess skin in their blogs when they have lost because it is the getting healthy that is the main thing for them.

Good luck on whatever you decide and just know that I understand.

Love Chubbymum

PJ said...

Hey Sharon - thought I'd join this blog thing. Sounds like you are doing really well with your exercise & stuff - you can do it.
P & J xxx

MsYennis said...

I sometimes worry about excess skin also. I decided that I'd just deal with that problem when/if it comes to me. At the moment it just feels more important for my own physical and mental health that I lose weight, everything else is a worry for another day. :)

The advise that I received from my trainer is: Drop the weight slowly (1-2lbs per week), drink LOTS of water, and exfoliate and moisturize the skin daily. This doesn't guarentee that you won't get lose skin, but it does help keep your skin supple and healthy.

Lisa

Moby Dick said...

If you lose weight slowly, the skin will shrink accordingly. I have lost about 150 lbs. and I don't have any sag yet. However, I lost the weight in a span of almost three years. I also take a lot of Vitamin E, multi-vitamins, anti-oxidants, etc. I don't know if that helps, but I think so.

The people that end up with incredible amounts of sagging skin are the Gastric Bypass folks who often lose 100 lbs. or more in just a couple of months. Their skin has no chance to adapt to the changing shape of the person, so it ends up hanging loose. Once it is hanging loose, it stays that way and you need cosmetic surgery to remove it. Good luck in your dieting!

Chris said...

After having 5 kids my tummy could really use a tuck or 2. But I don't think I would do it. If anything I would want a neck tuck and tightening.

Daniele said...

Hiya. To tell you the truth, I'll be so pleased when I have to face this issue. It means I have achieved my goals of losing 200lbs! And THEN I will deal with that issue. Hopefully by then I will have gotten more regular exercise and muscle build up and it won't be too terrible. But if I can't stand it, I would consider surgery. Definitely.