Tuesday 9 January 2007

2006 (A quick summary)

Well, this is my last catch up post on my adventures here in Belgium. And then I will start posting on what is happening now, my hobbies and interests, and my weight loss progress. But for the life of me, I am having trouble remembering what we did the past year. There weren't any international visitors and I guess we were a bit boring this year. But I will fill you in on a few things.

New Years Eve 2005 was the first time we stayed home in Belgium, we normally drive to Holland to watch and photograph the amazing fireworks. We didnt think that people let them off in the streets here and discovered at midnight that we were wrong. They were going off all over the neighbourhood. We shouldnt have been suprised, Belgium sells even stronger fireworks than Holland. When it is getting close to the end of the year, the police are sitting at the borders waiting to catch Dutch coming back home with their stash of Belgian fireworks. This year I think they caught someone with a couple of ton of fireworks trying to go back over the border. This year Hans was working the night shift on New Years Eve so it was just me. So outside I went at midnight to watch the fireworks :) However, they still do scare me a bit, being so close. And this year was no exception, especially when the next door neighbours started letting them off in front of the house when I wasnt looking.....lol.

As I mentioned, he winter was cold at the beginning of the year. And one day in February we had really good rijp (a type of frost). So we grabbed our cameras and headed off to the forest. We were not disappointed and I also enjoyed watching people ice skating on the lake there :)

Probably the most notable event this year was Hans' 25th anniversary at the factory. For this, he received several gifts and bonuses. Among these was a HUGE pay bonus in August which was the month that marked his 25 years working at the company. He was also given the actual day off work and then we had the dinner at the end of the year. Every year, just before xmas (this year it was 22 December), the company holds a special dinner for all those celebrating their 10th, 25th, and 40th anniversaries with the company, and also for those that retired that year. It is just for those people, their partners, the General Manager, and the other Department Managers and heads. It is actually a lunch, not dinner. A taxi was sent to pick us up and take us to the lunch which was a fabulous hot and cold buffet. We were greeted at the door with a glass of champagne and after a few drinks, we went to our tables. During the speeches, those who retired during the year received a special gift and those celebrating their anniversaries, received a commemorative pin. Later in the afternoon, the taxis arrived to take us all home again. It was really nice and we had a fabulous time :)

Another major event was the friendly soccor game between Holland and Australia in Rotterdam. Held just before the World Cup. As the factory that Hans works for is owned by an Australian company, Zinifex, they managed to get enough tickets for a couple of busloads to go to the game from the factory. And Hans managed to secure 2 seats for us :) It certainly was an experience and one that I thoroughly enjoyed!!!! I didnt know much about soccor beforehand and didnt have too big a interest but I had to go and support the aussies. And I have to say that since that experience and the following World Cup, my interest has definitely grown :) Here are a few photos and take note of Hans in his aussie outfit...lol. Of course there was Carnival again early in the year and this year we decided to check out the parade in Valkenswaard. Here are a few photos from the 2006 Carnival..... In October, there was an Australian Fair held in Utrecht at the Aboriginal Art Museum there. So Hans and I decided to go and check it out. It was fun and interesting to see, but not much there for us. It was all little stalls about immigration or travel to Australia, a stall about Australian Rules Football, a few aussie product stalls, one about the Flying Doctors, etc. They also had Didgeridoo playing and Boomerang throwing instruction :) I managed to get myself a little souvenir and an aussie cap and we came home with the biggest stack of brochures :) But we didnt take any photos.

Tera and I did make our annual pilgrimage to Valkenburg for the xmas markets in the caves but ended up not getting there. We went on a Saturday which also happened to be the second last day of the markets and when we got there, the cues were a mile long. It may have taken us hours to get our tickets. So we kept driving to Aachen over the border. When we got to Aachen, we had the traffic from a soccor match and then all the car parks were full in the centre. We finally did find a parking garage with a spaces left and headed off to the centre to find somewhere for lunch and the xmas markets. This was easier said than done as all the cafes were completely full and overcrowded, even McDonalds. We finally found a cafe with a couple of spare tables and had a really lovely lunch. Then we headed off in search of the xmas markets. The markets were as wonderful as ever! And we had a great time even though it was a real fight to get through the crowds and we were soaking wet from the non stop rain. But I really enjoyed the markets and the atmosphere and managed to pick up some great goodies :) However, I dont think I will tackle the xmas markets on a weekend again......lol.

Our Christmas was quiet but really lovely. First we headed off to mass at the local church. Hans was playing a few songs on his saxophone with the local band at mass. It was a wonderful way to spend Christmas morning. When we got home, we unwrapped our pressies, talked to mum on the phone again, had a simple lunch and then a lazy afternoon. Our Christmas dinner in the evening was a little different to usual. This year we had Swiss cheese fondue and gourmet. Gourmet is very popular here on special occasions. It is tiny bits of different kinds of meats, and you cook your own pieces yourself on the table. It comes with all these tiny frypans and all the guests cook their own meat in their own little frypan right there on the table. Our gourmet set is not the best so I cooked up different bits of meat on the stove and put it on a plate on the table with the salads and veges etc. But we did our own fondue right there on the table. Second Christmas Day, Hans had to work the morning shift and then we went to visit the family in the evening. So it turned out to be a really wonderful Christmas :)

Another new thing I did this Christmas, was to make all my gifts for family and friends and receive home made gifts from my friends. It was LOADS of fun and I really enjoyed doing it and I think I may do it more often. I think home made gifts mean a lot more also, as they are truly from the heart and you know the person put a lot of thought into it. I think they are more precious than any store bought gift. And I enjoyed it so much!

That is mostly all of note for this year. I did have a wonderful dinner with friends for my birthday and a few other outings but no major sightseeing trips. Progress on the house has been at a bit of a standstill and I am dying to get back into working on it. I am getting extremely sick of my yucky bare concrete kitchen floor, etc. So fingers crossed that we manage to get some things done this year :) Well there is not much else I can think of to write. We are both well and doing great, as are all the pets :) So I guess I will keep this post pretty short and get on to some more current things :) I hope you have enjoyed the journey so far!!!

1 comment:

Meow Meow said...

I came over way of Miss Hips...

I enjoyed your pictures. Welcome to the world of blogging!